Saturday, June 28, 2008

Tic Toc Apocalypse

While surfing around the internet as I am often prone to do, I came across an art gallery's online site which made mention of a recent show called “Tic Toc Apocalypse” by Los Angeles artist, Amanda Visell. I mention it here because many of the paintings feature a giant monster movie theme, but by way of a colorful 60’s UPA cartoon aesthetic. The artist has graciously given me her permission to post a handful of my favorites:

You can see more of Amanda’s work at her website: amandavisell.com

2 comments:

Mitch said...

They look a lot like the character design used in The Powerpuff Girls cartoon that used to run on cartoon Network. That was also a tip of a hat to the old animation convention you mentioned, I believe.

I think they're incredible. Nice find!

Mr. Karswell said...

Wow, these are loads of fun, nice find! Someone should hire Amanda to illustrate Little Golden Books.